Thursday, April 7, 2016

How to surrender our fear, worry, and doubt... Having faith in the midst of the fire

Truth be told I found myself recently in a pit of fear, worry and a hopeless feeling. I was feeling overwhelmed by life's burdens and trying to be what only Jesus can be, trying to do what only Jesus can do. A song that really spoke to my heart during all of this was Casting Crown's song Just Be Held that says..."Hold it all together everybody needs you strong. When life hits you out of nowhere and barely leaves you holding on. When you are tried of fighting, chained by your control there is freedom in surrender so lay it down and let it go... Just be held" I was struggling with trying to be in control in life's uncontrollable circumstances. I was caught up in a struggle that when asked how I was doing I'd put on a fake smile and say, "I'm good. How are you?" I did this until the burden got too heavy to carry on my own. God and I wrestled over what I had been trying to do in my own strength and showed me I needed to surrender this and trust that he is in control of all things... From the smallest of things to things so great I couldn't even begin to wrap my head around them. I loved this quote from my devotional this morning: Worry is interest paid on trouble before it comes due. ~ William Ralph Inge.  Do not worry about anything but pray and ask God for everything you need always giving thanks. Philippians 4:6
I know I'm not the only one that tends to worry about the things in life I can not control or change. (including people) I often feel as though I care too much and as a result I worry a lot about these types of things. I am finding I need to worry less and pray more. Telling God what troubles my heart and trusting that his answers to my troubles are far greater than any of the possible scenarios I may come up with in my own. I need to trust that God is able to use these painful circumstances in the lives of my loved ones for an even greater purpose than just the here and now, one that has eternal value not just a present, temporary, feel good comfort level. The thing about worry is it doesn't change what is happening, it is an exhausting wasted effort. On the other hand prayer takes our concerns directly to the only one that has the power to work all things for our good, for those who love God and have been called according to his purpose. Prayer releases our minds from the burdens we feel and allows us to turn things over to God and trust that his plans for us are good and to rest in knowing that he cares for us and he cares for our loved ones as well. When we pray it is also equally important to give God thanks and acknowledge all that God has done for us. Thanksgiving literally dilutes fear and has the power of putting our focus back into perspective. I love in the movie War Room when Miss Clara shows her wall of remembrance... For when hard times come we can remember that our God is faithful, trust worthy, and good. That is so important when dealing with fear and worry... To reflect back on all that God has done and to praise him for it. Start a wall of remembrance in your home or in a prayer journal as a way to reflect back on God's goodness and faithfulness in your life. Pay attention  to who you are listening to when dealing with life's hardships, are you listening to God and claiming his promises or are you caught up in the "what if" game?  Are you praising or are you complaining? Guard your mind and arm yourself with the word of God and the enemy shall flee. I also know God never lets us go through a trail without a greater purpose in mind. He expects us to use what we have learned to help others find freedom. My hope in writing this is that it will help others caught up in the worries of life to find strength and true peace that only God himself can give. I can't explain in words the weight that was lifted off of me and how grateful I am that I have a savior that hears my cries and meets me right where I am at. His name is Jesus, and I encourage you to cry out to him if you don't have a personal relationship with him. There is not a person or substance on this earth that can ever fulfill in your life what only Christ can fill. I am so grateful to be called his.

No comments:

Post a Comment