Monday, October 17, 2016

Goodbyes may seem forever, farewell is like the end, but in my hearts the memories and there you'll always be: love you Larry

Every once in a while, in life, you get news and you know life as you knew it will never again be the same. You experience a loss so deep you know nothing will ever fill that void. Today was one of those days as we found out one of the greatest men I've ever known is no longer with us. He has been a neighbor and friend for more than 16 years, even more than that he has been a constant PRESENCE in our lives, almost anyone on Dake Hill has known him and fallen in love with him. He had an infectious laugh and a smile that could light up any room. I can hear his, "Alrighty then, very good," or "There's the gang" echoing in my ears as this very surreal news hits me like a ton of bricks. How can something so heartbreaking happen on such a beautiful fall day? What a glorious and beautiful send off Larry had today. I wonder how many nights, for years to come, will I look to see if Larry is watching the sunset out in the front yard. Oh God, 16 years is not enough time to have loved this wonderful person. We wanted more time to enjoy him. How many times will we drive by and the kids will shout there's Larry's house, like they ALWAYS do... how long will that feel like a knife piercing my heart? I'm so mad at myself right now. It has been a few weeks since I had seen him, because I've been gone and so busy. Ray told me he had been sick and I kept thinking this week we'll stop by, it's a little slower and we have some extra time, little did we know, we didn't have the extra time to spare.  My heart is so full of amazing memories. How many walks did I pass by his house and hear his sweet voice, "Training for the olympics?" He had a heart of gold. Always lending a helping hand, always there to supervise any projects we had going on. I'm so sad he won't get to see our addition completed. He was there when we poured cement, he was there to plow the driveway, he was there when we needed tires, or whenever we needed him. Simply put HE WAS THERE. What a void Dake Hill will have in her now. We lovingly called him Papa Larry. He watched out for us and our neighbors. I'm quite certain the neighborhood watch program was mimicked after Larry personally. He was our neighborhood patrol. How often did he come over to warn me about a danger in the area. I'll never forget the time I was out mowing and he came over on his golf cart and yelled at me to get inside because there was a tornado warning. Or the time he spotted a rabid raccoon in the yard while he was driving by...the kids were out playing and Ray was at work and he came over and put it down to keep us safe. I always felt like he was a Guardian angel here on earth sent to watch over us and keep us safe. The void Ray is going to have is huge, as Larry really was like a second father to Ray. The countless times Larry drove over to circle around the house just to see if Ray was out and about. We just held each other and cried, and then laughed at the memories we shared. More time, is what we wished, but time was not in our favor. I pray for his amazing wife, Barb, what a team they made together. My heart broke tonight as I went to see her and Prince (their dog) came over with Larry's hat in his mouth and he sat at the table watching us. More tears surface, just when I think I can't cry anymore. Tonight I count my blessings and the years and memories I'll treasure in my heart until I hear his chuckle once again. RIP Larry you were one classy act, I hope you know how very much we loved you and thank God for the time we had you.

No comments:

Post a Comment