Monday, March 16, 2020

The Promise Keeper

There was a line in the movie I Still Believe that really hit home, Jeremy Camp was promising his wife that she would get well again and she said, “Stop making promises that aren’t yours to make.” Those words cut me to the core and I thought how true those words truly are. In spite of everything going on with the coronavirus we so desperately want that promise to be true in the lives of those we love. We want to promise them they will be protected, we want to promise them that if they get sick they will get well, or that we’d do everything in our power to protect their health... and even if you do everything that is recommended 100% there is still a chance they could get it. It is causing fear, panic, and distress... and yet I have a peace that surpasses all understanding; not because I’m in denial that this is very real and that many have died from it, I have peace because I know who is in control of all things, and I cling to his promises. I cling to the hope found in the word of God... “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4: 6-7. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this life here is temporal but there will be a day when God will wipe every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true. Revelation 21 4-5
I know as much as I love my family, as much as I want to protect them from harm, sickness, and disease... I am not the promise keeper. No matter how much I want to rescue them from an unknown future, I was not put here on this earth to be their savior... ONLY JESUS can do that for them. I know the one whom my faith and hope is secure in, and I can only lead others to him. I’m not afraid or what the future holds because I know he holds my future, and the future of those I dearly love. In Matthew 6:27 Jesus said "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
If all my fears and worry can’t even add a single hour to my life, what good is it? Fear destroys a whole lot more than sickness ever will. 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV says “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” This is my prayer that we will turn every worry over to God and say I trust in you Lord and your promises and I believe that you will work all things together for our good of those who love you, who have been called according to your purpose. Not that all things will feel good, but rather, so that we may be more like you in the end. I thank you Jesus that you are strong where I am weak, and I trust in the plans you have for my life and the lives of those I love. I surrender my fears, and all the things that are beyond my control and I pray that your peace will guard our hearts and minds in these troubled times. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment