Friday, May 29, 2020

A Labor Of Love

A labor or love....
When I was a young teenager I prayed that when I grew up, I would have many friends of different ethnicities. Why? Because growing up in a predominantly white area, I always adored the things that made different cultures unique and diverse as a young child; it wasn’t until I got a little older that I seen how cruel some people were treated based on something so beautifully different and yet so insignificant as skin color, or race, or gender, or sexuality. To me I saw beauty in our differences and I wanted my family to wholeheartedly love and embrace people from every culture... to see them as God sees them beautifully made, flawlessly loved, and perfectly chosen. I wanted my kids to see how beautiful God made each of us, and designed us to complement each other and to blend and enrich each other’s lives. God heard those tender innocent prayers and gave BIRTH to something even greater than I could have even imagined. It was a beautiful labor of love to instill in my children and future generations unconditional love to all people. I now have friends all over the world, that are more precious than life itself to me. I love them like family. My kids get to grow up knowing people for who they truly are which once again has shown me racism is something that is learned. When I see unjustifiable actions and unspeakable hate crimes I get infuriated and cry out to our Heavenly Father on all of our behalf because as far as I can see we are one. I hurt when they hurt and I pray with every breath that is in me that this generation will be the change. Lord heal our land and our broken hearts. Unite us in YOUR LOVE.

4 comments:

  1. One of the things I loved most about growing up in Los Angeles was that I had friends of all kinds. My best friend was hispanic, and I also had close friends who were black and asian. To this day, I thank God that He allowed my formative years to be influenced in that way. Your words make me think of Galatians 3:28. As believers, we must learn to see others as God sees them... not as the world sees them. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely post. If only we could all remember that it isn't our color, or our culture, or our sex, that makes us who we are but instead it is our creator who unites us all and created us all as one body - His. Then maybe the hate would end and we could appreciate the beauty that is unique to each individual and we could love that about each other instead of holding each difference against one another. It breaks my heart to so many of us divided by lines that are completely irrelevant, when we should be united as one. Praying wiht you for the healing of our land and for the broken and breaking hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad that not everyone thinks like you and me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our skin may look quite different,
    and to, the hair upon our head,
    but God is quite insistent
    that when we die, we all bleed red.
    I once saw a white man go,
    no tears about his race;
    the negro that he'd come to know
    held his dying face
    and whispered what I could not hear,
    words to bring a final smile,
    words that took away the fear,
    made race relations all worthwhile,
    and when that black man met his end,
    I held him close, and called him friend.

    ReplyDelete