Saturday, April 17, 2021

We Are Called To Love

 This thought will be challenging for some but I’m always up for opportunities to grow and see things differently. 

Years ago when I first became a Christian and I wanted everyone else in my life to know the freedom I found in Christ and for them to know it too for themselves, I still do, however my approach has changed a lot over the years. I still yearn for those I love to love Jesus too and to acknowledge their own sin and need for the only one that can truly bear the weight of this world and set us feee from our own recklessness. I still in a heartbeat don’t think twice about telling people my story and sharing intimate details of my personal past in hopes someone might see the hope I found, I also have found over the years that sometimes what people need more than a message is a friend with a listening ear. A friend that is willing to put doctrines aside and to see THEM and to know them, the way only Jesus does.  God has given me a gift to see past their shortcomings and to see the person behind the mess. Now this isn’t to be confused with not setting healthy boundaries for ourselves, I absolutely struggled in this area. We don’t need to accept abuse and call it love or tolerate mistreatment from others and call it tolerance. I’ve absolutely walked away from some very unhealthy relationships in my past and never looked back, I still pray for them and truly want what’s best for them, however I realized it wasn’t my job to fix it... only Jesus can do that. With that disclaimer being said let’s move forward. It always amazes me at how many people turn away from others because they don’t think or believe the way they do. They don’t have the same political views, they don’t have the same religious views, they don’t worship the same way, they are too bound by sin, they’re way too free and expressive, they don’t have the same gender views, they don’t live a lifestyle I approve of or one God “approves of”, she’s a woman and he’s a man they have different roles in the church, in life, in the world, she’s too much of a feminist, or they’re too liberal... I think you get the point as the list of differences is endless. I felt God speaking to my heart News flash for you... it’s ok to walk with sinners your salvation isn’t dependent on their right actions. Your salvation isn’t hinged on how many people you convert to think and believe the way you do. We weren’t called to be the “Judge” we were called to love. Now I’m not saying we should all make our own rules and live to our own standards and choose our own disastrous ways, however what I am saying is God knows the why behind the brokenness, he knows the hurt that leads some people to make atrocious decisions, he knows why so and so continually lives a life in the pit instead of being the prodigal that returns and eats at the table. If only we could see past that speck of sawdust and instead focus on our own planks, in our eyes, we’d love more like he loves. You see my sweet friends I was among the sick that Jesus came to make well. I was the one lost and wondering (I still get off track and stumble) and yet I hear his voice calling me back to him. I didn’t need someone telling me all the ways I’m a train wreck, I didn’t need some to show me all the ways I missed the mark, deep down I knew. I needed someone that showed me the unconditional love that only Christ offers. We can try our best to love others, but we’re human and will ultimately fail miserably, even in our best efforts, somewhere along the line we will miss the mark, and leave those we dearly love with unmet expectations, because we’re flawed and human too. Our job isn’t to be a false savior to broken people, our job is to love them and point them to the one true savior and God will call them to him when the time is right for that particular person. He sees the bigger picture and he loves us despite of our failures and shortcomings, he loves us even when we reject his ways and walk in sin. That my friends is what unconditional love truly looks like. Sometimes we ourselves don’t even understand our own foolishness, how then do we expect to understand someone else’s? Only Jesus can. So don’t be afraid to love someone who doesn’t think or believe like you do, don’t be afraid to share your hope, but make sure love is the motivation. Go out and spread the gospel and if necessary use words. Francis of Assisi~

No comments:

Post a Comment